Monday, October 23, 2006

FOR TUESDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2006

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

0CTOBER 24TH, 2006

TODAY'S THOUGHT

If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.

Henry Ford

TODAY’S ACTION

Learn wisdom from failure.

TODAY’S QUOTE

Someone to tell it to is one of the fundamental needs of human beings.

Miles Franklin

HAPPY TUESDAY

A few snow flakes fell during the day here on Monday, but the weather forecast for today is for accumulated snow !!! East of here the pumpkins had snow on top of them yesterday, ours might have it today!

Needless to say, I went out and bought another pair of gloves. Now maybe my other ones will show up.

Keep warm all and take your time if the roads get slippery! ( and for you in warmer climes, just take good care anyway)

Have a great day ! Another wonderful one on the Way !

TODAY IS…BLACK CAT DAY

Cats of all colors were domesticated as pets around 3000 B.C. in Egypt. They were well loved and protected by law from mistreatment. But let's jump to Europe during the Middle Ages. Many old women fed stray cats in the streets.

When superstitious people called these old women "hags" or "witches", they thought the cats (especially black cats) were their witchy companions.

That's the only reason black cats were ever considered unlucky. Silly superstition.

TODAY’S TRIVIA

International Forgiveness Day - Celebrated on the day that the UN was founded.

United Nations Day - Celebrates the founding of the United Nations on this day in 1945.

Today is National Bologna Day.

1923: Frederick Banting and J. J. R. Macleod of the University of Toronto shared the Nobel Prize for Medicine for their discovery of the hormone insulin, which would save the lives of millions of diabetics.

1939: Nylon stockings go on sale for 1st time (Wilmington Delaware) 1940: The 40-hour work week went into effect under the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938

1955: Tappan introduced the microwave oven in Mansfield, Ohio. Suggested retail price: $1,200.

1973: "Kojak" debuted on CBS-TV. It starred Telly Savalas as the bald New York City police detective with a lollipop addiction, Theo Kojak.

TODAY’S SMILE

A World of Smile

By: Author Unknown

About ten years ago when I was an undergraduate in college, I was working as an intern at my University's Museum of Natural History. One day while working at the cash register in the gift shop, I saw an elderly couple come in with a little girl in a wheelchair.

As I looked closer at this girl, I saw that she was kind of perched on her chair. I then realized she had no arms or legs, just a head, neck and torso. She was wearing a little white dress with red polka dots.

As the couple wheeled her up to me I was looking down at the register. I turned my head toward the girl and gave her a wink. As I took the money from her grandparents, I looked back at the girl, who was giving me the cutest, largest smile I have ever seen.

All of a sudden her handicap was gone and all I saw was this beautiful girl, whose smile just melted me and almost instantly gave me a completely new sense of what life is all about.

She took me from a poor, unhappy college student and brought me into her world; a world of smiles, love and warmth.

That was ten years ago. I'm a successful business person now and whenever I get down and think about the troubles of the world, I think about that little girl and the remarkable lesson about life that she taught me.

Smile at each other; smile at your wife, smile at your husband, smile at your children, smile at each other- it doesn't matter who it is- and that will help you to grow up in greater love for each other.

Mother Teresa

TODAY’S WORD

trench·ant adjective

1. Keen; incisive: a trenchant comment. 2. Forceful, effective, and vigorous: a trenchant argument. Synonym incisive. 3. Caustic; cutting: trenchant criticism. 4. Distinct; clear-cut.

TODAY’S LINK

HOW MANY DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS

http://home.valornet.com/sabruf2/countchr.html

TODAY’S REFLECTION

There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 3:28

Notice that Paul says in our scripture reading today, "for all of you are one in Christ Jesus." That's important.

 It doesn't matter whether you are Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female, black or white or Hispanic. It doesn't matter if your degree is from Harvard or from Podunk U. You know who you are and you know your life matters. "For all of you are one in Christ Jesus”

http://www.devotions.net

TODAY’S ADVICE FROM THE OLD FARMER’S ALMANAC

Can't sleep? Drink chamomile tea and eat mandarin oranges.

 58 DAYS UNTIL WINTER !

2ND WARNING !

Since April, we've been adding an hour to our days for Daylight Saving Time. Now, on October 29, at 2:00 a.m., we "fall back" and lose an hour as autumn and winter approach

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart

Psalm 37:4

I Love You All !!!

Be Blessed !!!

MA

MY HOMEPAGE

I believe we should live ‘ON THE BRIGHT SIDE’

www.bigmarainey.com

MY JOURNALS

http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

http://onyama.blogspot.com/

BRIGHT SIDE LOGO BY SON #6

http://www.littlerainey.com/index.html

No comments: