Thursday, January 11, 2007

FOR F R I D A Y , JANUARY 12TH, 2007

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

JANUARY 12TH,2007

TODAY'S THOUGHT

The language of friendship is not words but meanings.

Henry David Thoreau

 TODAY’S ACTION

Look for an opportunity to make a positive difference.

TODAY’S QUOTE

There are two seasonal diversions that can ease the bite of any winter. One is the January thaw. The other is the seed catalogues.

Hal Borland

HAPPY FINALLY F R I DAY

Today is supposed to be a little warmer with temps in the 40’s and rain, but the long range forecast says that it will be very cold next week. We’ll be down in the low 20’s which is typical January weather.

DDIL#1’s Mom came through her hip surgery just fine and for that we are truly thankful and Thank you for all your prayers. Now we’ll be praying for a speedy recovery for her.

I talked with DS#4 last night and he says he’ll be traveling a lot for work over the next few months so I’ll be praying for lots of safe trips for him.

Lots and Lots of prayers going up for a

ll of you. It seems there is never a day go by that there is always some special need to pray for. I often think of a quote I read…

The prayers of an old man are the only contributions left in his power. Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Mrs. Morgan, 1822

I’m looking forward to the weekend as always. There won’t be anything special going on, but after the busy holidays, maybe I’ll get to relax a bit.

Have a great day all ! Another wonderful one on the Way !

Please pray for God's protection of our troops and HIS wisdom for their commanders.

Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior.

TODAY IS…ROLLER SKATING DAY

A Belgian inventor named Joseph Merlin introduced the first recorded roller skate in 1760.

In 1863, James Plimpton, a businessman from Massachusetts, invented a roller skate that could turn. It was called a "rocking" skate -- the first one that really let people skate curves and turn. The National Museum of Roller Skating is located in Lincoln, Nebraska

TODAY’S TRIVIA

1915: The U.S. Congress establishes Rocky Mountain National Park

1949: "Arthur Godfrey and His Friends" premiered on CBS-TV. The TV favorite stayed on the network for seven years.

 1957: Elvis Presley recorded "All Shook Up."

1966: "Batman" debuted on ABC-TV. Adam West starred as Batman and Burt Ward was, Robin.

1985: After a record 24 weeks as the #1 album in the nation, Prince's "Purple Rain" was knocked off by Bruce Springsteen’s "Born In the USA."  ( I love that song )

TODAY’S SMILE

A few quick ones today…

Someone in our neighborhood put a huge sofa out by the curb for trash collection. Since it was in good shape, many motorists slowed down for a look. But when they saw how enormous it was, they'd leave.

Eventually a compact car pulled up, and two men got out. "This I've got to see," I thought.

They removed the cushions, turned the sofa upside down, and shook it hard. Then they picked up all the coins that tumbled out and drove off.

Glenelg, Maryland is such a small community, I was surprised that they had a community paper. I asked one old-timer about it. He replied, "We all know what everybody else is doing, but we like to read the paper anyway to see who's been caught at it."

One Spring afternoon, I came home to find two little girls on the steps of my building. Both were crying hard, shedding big tears. Thinking they might be hurt, I dropped my briefcase and quickly went over to them. "Are you all right?" I asked. Still sobbing, one held up her doll. "My baby's arm came off," she said.

I took the doll and its disjointed arm. After a little effort and luck, the doll was again whole. "Thank you." came a whisper. Next looking into the tearful eyes of her friend, I asked, "and what's the matter with you, young lady?" She wiped her cheeks. "I was helping her cry," she said.

TODAY’S WORD

pe·cu·ni·ar·y

adjective

1. Of or relating to money: a pecuniary loss; pecuniary motives. Synonym financial.

2. Requiring payment of money: a pecuniary offense.

TODAY’S REFLECTION

Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help.

Psalm 146:5

Everyone wants to be happy. But many fail in their quest to find that elusive prize because they are looking in the wrong places.

Proverbs 16:20 tells us, “Whoever trusts in the Lord, happy is he.” And Psalm 146:5 indicates that happiness comes to those who find their help and hope in God.

I found this list of Ten Rules for Happier Living:

1. Give something away.

2. Do a kindness.

3. Give thanks always.

4. Work with vim and vigor.

5. Visit the elderly and learn from their experience.

6. Look intently into the face of a baby and marvel.

7. Laugh often—it’s life’s lubricant.

8. Pray to know God’s way.

9. Plan as though you will live forever—you will.

10. Live as though today is your last day on earth. These are excellent ideas for living a happy life.

Under gird each of these rules with praise, and your happiness will be complete. “Praise the Lord, O my soul! While I live I will praise the Lord” (Ps. 146:1-2).

From Our Daily Bread Daily Devotional

http://www.rbc.org

TODAY’S ADVICE FROM THE OLD FARMER’S ALMANAC

It is lucky to keep a jar of pennies in the kitchen.

67 DAYS UNTIL SPRING !

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart

Psalm 37:4

I Love You All !!! Be Blessed !!!

MA

MY HOMEPAGE

I believe we should live ‘ON THE BRIGHT SIDE’

www.bigmarainey.com

MY JOURNALS

http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

http://onyama.blogspot.com/

BRIGHT SIDE LOGO BY SON #6

http://www.littlerainey.com/index.html

 

No comments: