Friday, February 23, 2007

FOR SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 24,2007

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

February 24th, 2007

TODAY'S THOUGHT

People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.

Zig Ziglar

TODAY’S ACTION

Rejoice, the future is full of promise.

TODAY’S QUOTE

There's nothing that can help you understand your beliefs more than trying to explain them to an inquisitive child.

Frank A. Clark

HAPPY SATURDAY

Once again I’m off to spend the day with Dad. Tomorrow is church and catch up day. I did manage to get the laundry done after work on Friday, So Sunday will just be cleaning up. I also need to do a little shopping so the day will go really fast for sure.

Have a great day all ! Another wonderful one on the Way !

Please pray for God's protection of our troops and HIS wisdom for their commanders.

Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior.

TODAY IS…DINOSAUR LOVERS DAY

The word "dinosaur" was invented by Sir Richard Owen in 1842 to describe "fearfully great reptiles" - and there were only three dinosaurs known at the time. Scientists have now identified more than 700 speicies in many shapes and sizes. They lived from 225 million years ago up until about 65 million years ago. But, actually they live on today as the birds.

DINOSAUR EGG HUNT

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/features/96/dinoeggs/

TODAY’S TRIVIA

Today is Basking Day, a day to get outdoors and bask

Today is National Tortilla Chip Day.

Today is National Swamp Cabbage Day

1868: The first U.S. parade with floats wound through downtown Mobile, Alabama.

1916: Jules Verne's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" opened in New York.

1938 - The first nylon bristle toothbrush was made in Arlington, NJ. It was the first time that nylon yarn had been used commercially. Two years later, nylon hosiery was introduced.

1940: Frances Langford recorded one of the classic songs of all time – and one that would become a Walt Disney trademark. "When You Wish Upon a Star" was recorded on Decca Records during a session in Los Angeles.

TODAY’S SMILE

I recently decided to stop by a fast-food drive-through for lunch. I ordered the #1 combo (hamburger, fries, and a coke) for $4.29... no biggie size. When confirming my order, the clerk said, "Your total is $4.83, please drive forward." "$4.83?" I thought, "for a $4.29 meal? That's 54 cents tax! That can't be right."

My mind quickly began to calculate... tax is 8 cents on the dollar in my city, and with $4.29 that would be 35 cents max. I have heard about workers overcharging drive through customers and skimming the money for themselves, so I was beginning to get suspicious. I then got a pen and paper and did the long division (since there were 2 cars ahead of me). 483 divided by 429... I had been charged over 12 percent tax!

When I got to the window I handed the clerk a 5 and asked, "Do you know what the sales tax is here?" The clerk didn't know. I said, "$4.83 for a $4.29 meal is 12 percent tax. That can't be right--can I talk to the manager?"

The clerk gave me my change and called the manager. When the manager came over, I asked what the sales tax is in our city, and the manager said it was 8 percent. "I just just paid $4.83 for a $4.29 meal--that's over 12 percent sales tax" I said.

The manager got a funny look on her face and said that maybe the computer had rung it up wrong or had charged me for the biggie size (even though the biggie upgrade was 35 cents--which would put the total over $5).

The manager quickly checked the figures, and when coming to the same conclusion as myself, she opened the drawer and gave me my extra change.

 "Good job!" I thought to myself. "All my wonderful education has heightened my mental mathematical adeptness so that I can do percentages in my head, and my superior intellect has foiled a feeble attempt by a drive-through worker to overcharge me."

 I took the twenty cents the manager handed me and, proud of my staggering genius, smugly drove off... without my food.

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud. He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he. -Proverbs 16:18

http://www.cleanjokeoftheday.com

TODAY’S WORD

epigeal (ep-i-JEE-uhl) adjective

Living close to the ground, as certain plants.

TODAY’S REFLECTION

Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord.

Hebrews 12:14

God’s Word tells us that true happiness comes by keeping God’s law (Ps. 1:1-2; Prov. 16:20; 29:18).

God demands holiness and has called us to live a holy life—one that exemplifies His moral character

When we face decisions about the way we should act or how we should live, we must keep in mind that God’s command is not "Be happy," but "Be holy."

True joy will come from a holy, God-honoring life

OUR DAILY BREAD

http://www.rbc.org

TODAY’S ADVICE FROM THE OLD FARMER’S ALMANAC

When snowdrifts face to the north, spring will arrive early.

24 DAYS UNTIL SPRING !

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart

Psalm 37:4

I Love You All !!!

Be Blessed !!!

MA

MY HOMEPAGE

I believe we should live ‘ON THE BRIGHT SIDE’

www.bigmarainey.com

MY JOURNALS

http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

http://onyama.blogspot.com/

BRIGHT SIDE LOGO BY SON #6

http://www.littlerainey.com/index.html

 

No comments: