Monday, July 3, 2006

FOR TUESDAY, JULY 4TH, 2006

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

JULY 4TH, 2006

TODAY'S THOUGHT

It is in our lives and not our words that our religion must be read.

Thomas Jefferson

TODAY’S ACTION

Grasp every opportunity to offer encouragement to others.

TODAY’S QUOTE

We hold these truths to be sacred and undeniable; that all men are created equal and independent, that from that equal creation they derive rights inherent and inalienable, among which are the preservation of life, and liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Thomas Jefferson

HAPPY TUESDAY!

AND HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

It was a wet soggy day with the campers. Thankfully they have a big deck with an awning over it. We ate a lot and played some games. Today will be my last day of vacation until Labor Day weekend. There is still lots to be done around home so I suppose I’ll try to put a few more dents in the mountain.

Have a great day ! Another wonderful one on the Way !

A PRAYER FOR OUR TROOPS

Almighty God, we commend to Your gracious care and keeping all the men and women of our armed forces at home and abroad. Defend them day by day with Your heavenly grace; strengthen them in their trials and temptations; give them courage to face the perils which beset them; and grant them a sense of Your abiding presence wherever they may be; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Book of Common Prayer

This Is My Country

This is my country! Land of my birth!

This is my country! Grandest on earth!

I pledge thee my allegiance, America, the bold,

For this is my country to have and to hold.

What diff'rence if I hail from North or South

Or from the East or West?

My heart is filled with love for all of these.

I only know I swell with pride

And deep within my breast

I thrill to see Old Glory paint the breeze.

With hand upon heart

I thank the Lord

For this my native land,

For all I love is here within her gates.

My sould is rooted deeply

In the soil on which I stand,

For these are mine own United States.

This is my country! Land of my choice!

This is my country! Hear my proud voice!

I pledge thee my allegiance,

America, the bold,

For this is my country! To have and to hold.

TODAY IS…BUFFALO BILL DAY

 One of the world's greatest scientists was also recognized as the original absent-minded professor. One day, on board a train, he was unable to find his ticket. The conductor said, "Take it easy. You'll find it."

When the conductor returned, the professor still couldn't find the ticket. The conductor, recognizing the famous scientist, said, "I'm sure you bought a ticket. Forget about it." "You're very kind," the professor said, "but I must find it, otherwise I won't know where to get off. I forgot where I am supposed to be going today!"

TODAY’S TRIVIA

Today is U.S. Independence Day. The Continental Congress approved the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776.

 Today is National Barbecued Spareribs Day

1832 - It was on this day that America was sung in public for the first time -- at the Park Street Church in Boston, MA. Dr. Samuel Francis Smith wrote the words, borrowing the tune from a German songbook. Ironically, and unknown to Dr. Smith at the time, the melody is the same as the British national anthem.

1886 - The first rodeo in America was held at Prescott, Arizona.

1895 - America the Beautiful, the famous song often touted as the true U.S. national anthem, was originally a poem written by Katherine Lee Bates. The Wellesley College professor’s poem was first published this day in the Congregationalist, a church newspaper.

1970 - Casey Kasem hosted radio’s American Top 40 for the first time this day.

TODAY’S SMILE

A husband, the owner of a new car, was somewhat reluctant to allow his wife to drive his prize possession even to the grocery store which was a few blocks from the house.

After she insisted, he finally relented, cautioning her as she departed, "Remember, if you have an accident, the newspaper will print your age."

ONE MORE…

One of the world's greatest scientists was also recognized as the original absent-minded professor. One day, on board a train, he was unable to find his ticket. The conductor said, "Take it easy. You'll find it."

When the conductor returned, the professor still couldn't find the ticket. The conductor, recognizing the famous scientist, said, "I'm sure you bought a ticket. Forget about it."

"You're very kind," the professor said, "but I must find it, otherwise I won't know where to get off. I forgot where I am supposed to be going today!"

TODAY’S WORD

Tourbillion • \toor-BILL-yun\

noun 1 : whirlwind 2 : a vortex especially of a whirlwind or whirlpool

Tourbillion comes from the same root as "turbine"—namely, the Latin word "turbo," meaning "top" (as in a spinning object) or "whirlwind."

From Merriam-Webster’s Word of the Day

TODAY’S REFLECTION

"You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hid. No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.

Matthew 5:14-16

Usually, our influence as a lighthouse is seen through a steady, consistent beam of light. People know and remember us by our day-to-day actions among our family and friends: We could be a family member continuously offering love and acceptance or a boss supplying encouragement when needed most or we could be the friend who telephones when others are at a low point. As a lighthouse, we are given the opportunity to be a ray of hope in the midst of darkness.

From Daily Heartlight

TODAY’S ADVICE FROM THE OLD FARMER’S ALMANAC

The sunflower raising its head indicates rain.

80 DAYS UNTIL AUTUMN

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart

Psalm 37:4

I Love You All !!!

Be Blessed !!!

MA

MY HOMEPAGE

I believe we should live ‘ON THE BRIGHT SIDE’

www.bigmarainey.com

MY JOURNALS

http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

http://onyama.blogspot.com/

BRIGHT SIDE LOGO BY SON #6

 http://www.nois.com/rainey/rainey.htm

http://www.littlerainey.com/index.html

 

No comments: