Saturday, July 15, 2006

FOR SUNDAY, JULY 16, 2006

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

JULY 16TH, 2006

TODAY'S THOUGHT

You only learn how to succeed by failing, and no success is possible without it.

Brian Tracy

TODAY’S ACTION

If we learn how to give ourselves, to forgive others, and to live with thanksgiving, we won't need to seek happiness -- it will seek us.

TODAY’S QUOTE

Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day.

Henri Nouwen

HAPPY SUNDAY !

It seems like Saturday flew by. I got a few things done around the house and went to visit my Dad and the day was gone. Today is going to be another hot and humid day here. I think I’ll try to get to church for the early service then I can walk over before it gets too hot outside. I do need the exercise, but can’t stand the heat. It’s only 5 blocks away and at the most a 15 minute walk.

The week ahead looks pretty quiet after work, except for Tuesday and that should be dulcimer night. We usually try for the 3rd Tuesday of the month.

Have a great day all ! Another wonderful one on the Way !

Please pray for God's protection of our troops and HIS wisdom for their commanders.

Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior

God Bless You !

TODAY IS…FRESH SPINACH DAY

Spinach is an annual plant that is part of the goosefoot family. It was native to southwestern Asia, but moved into Europe by the 12th century. It didn't became cultivated worldwide until the 1920s when it was discovered to be so nutritious. It's fate was sealed in the 1930s when Popeye sang, "I'm strong to the finish cause I eat my spinach". It has been a popular vegetable ever since.

Spinach Salad

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons lime juice

1 teaspoon grated lime peel

1/8 to1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/3 cup vegetable oil

10 cups torn fresh spinach

3 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned

2 medium pink grapefruit, peeled and sectioned

1 medium red onion, sliced and separated into rings

In a blender, combine the honey, lime juice, lime peel and nutmeg; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream until dressing is thickened. In a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, oranges and grapefruit. Drizzle with the dressing; toss to coat. Top with onion and serve.

TODAY’S TRIVIA

National Ice Cream Day - Celebrated on the third Sunday in July. also Sundae Sunday.

Today is Orville Redenbacher Day, marking the popcorn king’s birth in Brazil, Indiana, on July 16, 1907

1790: Congress designated the District of Columbia as the permanent seat of the United States government.

1963: The U.S. Postal Service began using ZIP codes. ZIP means zone improvement plan. There are 43,000 5-digit zip codes.

TODAY’S SMILE

IT GETS BETTER WITH AGE

I've learned that our dog doesn't want to eat my broccoli either. - Age 7

I've learned that just when I get my room the way I like it, Mom makes me clean it up again. - Age 12

I've learned that if you want to cheer yourself up, you should try cheering someone else up. - Age 14

I've learned that silent company is often more healing than words of advice. - Age 24

I've learned that if someone says something unkind about me, I can live so that no one will believe it. - Age 30

I've learned that there are lots of people who love you dearly but they just don't know how to show it. - Age 42

I've learned that you can make someone's day by simply sending them a little note. - Age 44

I've learned that the greater a person's sense of guilt, the greater his or her need to cast blame on others. - Age 46

I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. - Age 48

I've learned that keeping a vegetable garden is worth a medicine cabinet full of pills. - Age 52

I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life. - Age 58

I've learned that if you want to do something positive for your children, work to improve your marriage. - Age 61

I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. - Age 62

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catchers mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back. - Age 64

I've learned that if you pursue happiness, it will elude you. But if you focus on your family, the needs of others, your work, meeting new people, and doing the very best you can, happiness will find you. - Age 65

I've learned that whenever I decide something with kindness, I usually make the right decision. - Age 72

I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one. - Age 82

I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love that human touch-holding hands, a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. - Age 90

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. - Age 92

TODAY’S WORD

oppugn  \uh-PYOON\ verb

1 : to fight against

2 : to call in question

As a young research assistant, Erin had the audacity to oppugn the conclusions of her department head.

TODAY’S REFLECTION

When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, . . . what is man that You are mindful of him?

Psalm 8:3-4

While contemplating the Lord and meditating on His creation, the psalmist’s self-important attitude shifted to one of humble appreciation for God’s goodness. It can be true of us too, if we can keep everything in proper perspective

It’s good to worship God in nature if it leads us to worship the God of nature.

From our Daily Bread – Daily Devotional

TODAY’S ADVICE FROM THE OLD FARMER’S ALMANAC

 A hedge between keeps friendship green.

68 DAYS UNTIL AUTUMN

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart

Psalm 37:4

I Love You All !!!

Be Blessed !!!

MA

MY HOMEPAGE

I believe we should live ‘ON THE BRIGHT SIDE’

www.bigmarainey.com

MY JOURNALS

http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

http://onyama.blogspot.com/

BRIGHT SIDE LOGO BY SON #6

http://www.nois.com/rainey/rainey.htm

http://www.littlerainey.com/index.html

 

 

No comments: