Sunday, July 23, 2006

FOR MONDAY, JULY 24, 2006

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

JULY 24TH, 2006

TODAY'S THOUGHT

Men trip not on mountains, they stumble on stones.

Anonymous

TODAY’S ACTION

Remember that the only boundaries we have are the ones we place on our own imaginations

TODAY’S QUOTE

Just as the wave cannot exist for itself,

but is ever a part of the heaving surface of the ocean,

so must I never live my life for itself,

but always in the experience which is going on around me.

Albert Schweitzer

HAPPY MONDAY

BACK TO WORK !

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day ! I managed to get 2 walks in. The first was a shorter one as I walked to church and back and the 2nd was a little longer as we walked uptown around the square and back again. It’s 5 blocks to church and 9 blocks to uptown. I think the longer walk is about 2 miles and that’s doing good for me.

The week ahead looks to be another quiet one. Nothing going on around here in the evenings anyway, just off to work each day.

Have a great day ! Another wonderful one on the Way !

TODAY IS…AMELIA EARHART DAY

Born July 24, 1897, in Atchison, Kansas, Amelia flew her first plane in 1921. Her name became a household word in 1932 when she was the 2nd person to fly solo across the Atlantic. In 1935, she was the first person to fly solo across the Pacific. Her next flight was planned to circle the globe at the equator. On July 2, 1937, she and her navigator disappeared at sea just 2 days short of finishing the trip.

"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace with yourself." --Amelia Earhart

TODAY’S TRIVIA

Today is Cousins Day, a time to honor all cousins

Today is National Drive-Through Day, marking the founding of America's first drive-through hamburger chain, Jack-in-the-Box in 1951

1683 1st settlers from Germany to US, leave aboard the Concord

1824 Harrisburg Pennsylvanian newspaper publishes results of 1st public opinion poll. Clear lead for Andrew Jackson

1952: High Noon, starring Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly, opened at U.S. movie theaters. The role won Cooper an Academy Award for Best Actor. The title song, sung by Tex Ritter, also won an Oscar.

1969 Apollo 11 returns to Earth

TODAY’S SMILE

Ice Cream is Good for the Soul

Last week I took my children to a restaurant. My six-year-old son had asked if he could say grace. As we bowed our heads he said, "God is good. God is great. Thank you for the food, and I would even thank you more if Mom gets us ice cream for dessert. And Liberty and justice for all. Amen."

Along with the laughter from the other customers nearby, I heard a woman remark, "That's what's wrong with this country. Kids today don't even know how to pray. Asking God for ice-cream. Why, I never."

Hearing this, my son burst into tears and asked me, "Did I do it wrong? Is God mad at me?" As I held him and assured him that he had done a terrific job and God was certainly not mad at him, an elderly gentleman approached the table. He winked at my son and said, " I happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer."

"Really?," my son asked. "Cross my heart." Then in a theatrical whisper he added (indicating the woman whose remark had started this whole thing), "Too bad she never asks God for ice cream. A little ice cream is good for the soul sometimes."

Naturally, I bought my kids ice cream at the end of the meal. My son stared at his ice cream for a moment and then did something I will remember the rest of my life. He picked up his sundae and without a word walked over and placed it in front of the woman. With a big smile he told her, "Here, this is for you. Ice cream is good for the soul sometimes, and my soul is good already."

TODAY’S WORD

spu·ri·ous adjective

1. Lacking authenticity or validity in essence or origin; not genuine; false.

2. Of illegitimate birth.

3. Botany. Similar in appearance but unlike in structure or function. Used of plant parts

TODAY’S REFLECTION

The person who shows mercy can stand without fear at the judgment.

James 2:13

Nothing takes the place of your presence. Letters are nice. Phone calls are special, but being there in the flesh sends a message. Do you believe in your kids? Then show up.

Show up at their games. Show up at their plays…

Do you believe in your friends? Show up at their graduations and weddings. Spend time with them.

You want to bring out in the best in someone? Then show up.

1 of 365 devotionals in Grace for the Moment, Volume 2.

By Max Lucado

TODAY’S ADVICE FROM THE OLD FARMER’S ALMANAC

A fish is not a fish until it's on the bank.

60 DAYS UNTIL AUTUMN!

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart

 Psalm 37:4

I Love You All !!!

 Be Blessed !!!

MA

MY HOMEPAGE

I believe we should live ‘ON THE BRIGHT SIDE’

www.bigmarainey.com

 MY JOURNALS

http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

http://onyama.blogspot.com/

BRIGHT SIDE LOGO BY SON #6

http://www.littlerainey.com/index.html

 

No comments: