Thursday, May 8, 2008

FOR THURSDAY, MAY 8th, 2008

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

MAY 8TH, 2008

 

TODAY'S THOUGHT

It is by believing in roses that one brings them to bloom.-French Proverb

TODAY’S ACTION

Remember that all glory comes from daring to begin.

TODAY’S QUOTE

When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.

Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty

HAPPY THURSDAY !!

Good Morning !

Here I am on my laptop in the kitchen and enjoying my good cup of coffee. I’m so thankful I have this laptop as yesterday my nice big new computer decided to go haywire on me. I was using it the past couple of days because I have more graphics there and I also have all my favorites marked and usually it is faster than the lap top.

It decided to start running slower than molasses in January and sometimes just crawled to a halt. I had to actually unplug it to get the thing to shut off at one point. Next week when I have time in the evening I’ll have to call for help.

Meanwhile I can use the laptop and all is fine at this end of the internet. I’ll be off to the campsite after work today so I’m wishing you all a HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY a little early. I won’t have a newsletter for you all until Monday morning.

The weather here is 50/50 so we’ll be hoping for a good weekend.

Take good care all !

Have a great day all ! Another wonderful one on the Way !

TODAY’S PRAYERS

Please pray for God's protection of our troops and HIS wisdom for their commanders.

Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL !

25 WORDS

God, I thank You for today, for the ways You will bless me, and for the ways that I will serve others in Your name

 TO REMEMBER…

I am in the hands of God, and in God’s time all things will be made well.

TODAY IS…COCA COLA DAY

Coca-Cola was invented in May, 1886, by Dr. John Pemberton in Atlanta, Georgia. The name came from his bookkeeper who wrote it out in the script that is famous today. They sold the drink at a soda fountain with no profits the first year. The business was sold to Asa Candler for $2,300, but it was a Mississippi candy store owner who thought of bottling drinks in the back room. In 1899, large-scale bottling began, and today more than 834 million drinks are sold each day.

TODAY’S TRIVIA

Today is No Socks Day.

Today is National Coconut Cream Pie Day

1847: Robert W. Thompson patented rubber tires, which he called "air wheels."

1940: Son Eric Hilliard was born to Ozzie and Harriet Nelson of Teaneck, New Jersey. At 16 Ricky became an instant rock star when he sang I’m Walking on the family TV show in 1957.

1945 - This day was celebrated throughout the free world. It was V-E Day. The Allied Forces had achieved victory in Europe with the unconditional surrender of Germany. The surrender had been made official on May 7th at Reims, France.

1961: New Yorkers chose a name for their new National League baseball franchise. The Mets were born

1984 - Joanie (Erin Moran) and Chachi (Scott Baio) got married on Happy Days! The comedy series, starring Henry Winkler, Tom Bosley and Marion Ross (Ron Howard and Anson Williams had already left the show), was winding down in its final season on ABC-TV. In the same episode, Fonzie (brilliantly portrayed by Winkler), filed papers to adopt a son.

TODAY’S SMILE

When the God Lord was creating Mothers He was into His sixth day of "overtime" when the angel appeared and said, "You're doing a lot of fiddling around on this one."

And the Lord said, "Have you read the specs on this order? She has to be completely washable, but not plastic. Have 180 moveable parts. . . all replaceable. Run on black coffee and leftovers. Have a lap that disappears when she stands up. A kiss that can cure anything from a broken leg to a disappointed love affair. And six pairs of hands."

The angel shook her head slowly and said, "Six pairs of hands. . . no way." "It's not the hands that are causing me problems", said the Lord. "It's the three pairs of eyes that Mothers need." "That's on the standard model?" asked the angel. The Lord nodded. "One pair that sees through closed doors when she asks, 'What are you kids doing in there?' when she already knows. Another here in the back of her head that sees what she shouldn't but she has to know, and of course the ones here in front that can look at a child when he goofs up and say, 'I understand and I love you' without so much as uttering a word."

"Lord," said the angel touching His sleeve gently, "Come to bed. Tomorrow. . . . . . " "I can't," said the Lord, "I'm so close to creating something so close to Myself. Already I have one who heals herself when she is sick. . . can feed a family of six on one pound of hamburger. . . and can get a nine-year-old to stand under a shower."

The angel circled the model of a Mother very slowly. "It's too soft," she sighed. "But tough!" said the Lord excitedly. "You cannot imagine what this Mother can endure." "Can it think?" "Not only think, but it can reason and compromise" said the Creator.

Finally, the angel bent over and ran her fingers across the cheek. "There's a leak," she pronounced. "I told you were trying to put too much into this model."

"It's not a leak," said the Lord, "It's a tear." "What's it for?" "It's for joy, sadness, disappointment, pain, loneliness and pride."

 "You are a genius," said the angel. The Lord looked somber. "I didn't put it there."

Erma Bombeck

TODAY’S WORD

amalgam \uh-MAL-guhm\, noun:

1. An alloy of mercury with another metal or metals; used especially (with silver) as a dental filling.

2. A mixture or compound of different things.

Amalgam comes from Old French amalgame, from Medieval Latin amalgama, probably from Greek malagma, "emollient," from malassein, "to soften," from malakos, soft.

TODAY’S REFLECTION

My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him.

Psalm 62:5

Have there been times when you have gone out of your way to be helpful to someone, but they have neither accepted help nor appreciated it? You did it out of unconditional love and said that you did not expect anything, but you were deeply disappointed. Unfortunately we cannot control their reaction and when it is not what we expect, we are upset. This can cause pain, exhaustion and sometimes even depression.

On the other hand, when we really act in unconditional love, expecting nothing in return, we can feel peaceful, knowing that we have done all we could, and we leave the rest to God. Today's scripture reminds us that our expectation is from God and he is utterly dependable! Our psalmist goes on to say: In God is my salvation and my glory; the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God Turn your heart and prayers to God, for your expectation is from him. He will not fail you. http://www.ourprayer.org

TODAY’S ADVICE FROM THE OLD FARMER’S ALMANAC

A good mess of dandelions is in order now

43 DAYS TIL SUMMER !

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart

Psalm 37:4

May there be a miracle in YOUR life today and may you have the EYES to SEE it!

I Love You All !!!

Be Blessed !!!

MA

MY HOMEPAGE

I believe we should live ‘ON THE BRIGHT SIDE’

www.bigmarainey.com

MY JOURNALS

http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

http://onyama.blogspot.com/

To see archived ‘On the Bright Side’ Newsletters click on the link below: http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/ONTHEBRIGHTSIDE/

BRIGHT SIDE LOGO BY SON #6

http://www.littlerainey.com/index.html

 

No comments: