Thursday, May 29, 2008

FOR THURSDAY, MAY 29TH, 2008

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

MAY 29TH, 2008

TODAY'S THOUGHT

Where there is great love there are always miracles.

Willa Cather

TODAY’S ACTION

Waste no tears over yesterday's grief

TODAY’S QUOTE

You don't have to be a "person of influence" to be influential. In fact, the most influential people in my life are probably not even aware of the things they've taught me.

Scott Adams

HAPPY THURSDAY !!

This week is flying by. One more day and I’ll be off to the camper again. Oh, how I love 3 day work weeks. I’ll have another come July when I’ll have another holiday off and a vacation day together. Hopefully at that time my whole family will be together at least for one day. It will be so great to have them all in one place at the same time. We haven’t been able to do that for about 4 or 5 years now. And if things work out right we’ll be doing it again come Thanksgiving time this year.

Our weather is supposed to warm up into the 70’s today . That is what is normal for us this time of year and in my books that is about perfect. I like it warmer only if I’m close by a swimming pool or the beach. Then I can cool off if needed.

Right now it is only 37 degrees outside. BrrChill!

Have a great day all ! Another wonderful one on the Way !

TODAY’S PRAYERS

Please pray for God's protection of our troops and HIS wisdom for their commanders.

Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior.

GOD BLESS YOU !

25 WORDS

God, I thank You for today, for the ways You will bless me, and for the ways that I will serve others in Your name

TO REMEMBER…

I am in the hands of God, and in God’s time all things will be made well.

TODAY IS…PAPER CLIP DAY

Fastening papers together started in the 13th century when a short length of ribbon was placed through parallel cuts in the upper left hand corner of pages. It was almost 600 years later before anybody improved on this ribbon fastener. In 1899, Johan Vaaler, an inventor in Norway, patented the paper clip - and it's been used in more ways than you think. During the five-year Nazi occupation of World War II, Norwegians weren't allowed to wear buttons imprinted with the king's initials. Loyal Norwegians wore paper clips to symbolized solidarity and oppose the occupation.

TODAY’S TRIVIA

Today is Squoosh an Ice Cream Sandwich Day.

No, don't squish it, squoosh it!

Today is Wisconsin Admission Day. It became the 30th U.S. state on this date in 1848

Today is Presidential Flag Day. The official flag of the President of the U.S. was adopted on this date in 1916

Today is International Day of U.N. Peace Keepers

England’s Leslie Townes Hope was born on this day in 1903, and he was probably smiling instead of crying when he entered the world. You see, Leslie, better known to us as Bob, kept the world smiling for seven decades.

1790 - The smallest of the United States joined the first 12 states as number 13. Rhode Island, the Ocean State, probably got its name when discoverer Verrazano noted that, the area we know as Rhode Island, looked about the size of the tiny Greek Isle of Rhodes. Rhode Island’s capital city is Providence, and the tiny violet is appropriate as the state flower. Probably the most famous variety of chicken, the Rhode Island Red, is the state bird.

1848 - The land of lakes and large expanses of green gave name to Wisconsin, the 30th state to enter the United States of America. (Wisconsin, is thought to be the Chippewa Indian word for "grassy place".) The wood violet is the state flower, the robin is the state bird and Madison is the capital city

1856: During a speech in Bloomington, Illinois, Abraham Lincoln said, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time."

1917: The 35th U.S. president, John F. Kennedy, was born in Brookline, Massachusetts

1942: Bing Crosby, the Ken Darby Singers, and the John Scott Trotter Orchestra recorded Irving Berlin's "White Christmas" in Los Angeles for Decca Records, one of history's most successful recordings

TODAY’S SMILE

THINGS I WISH FOR YOU

A Message from Paul Harvey

 We tried so hard to make things better for our kids that we made them worse. For my grandchildren, I'd like better. I'd really like for them to know about hand-me down clothes and homemade ice cream and leftover meatloaf sandwiches. I really would.

My cherished grandson, I hope you learn humility by being humiliated, and that you learn honesty by being cheated. I hope you learn to make your bed and mow the lawn and wash the car. And I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen.

I hope you have a job by then. It will be good if at least one time you can see a baby calf born and your old dog put to sleep. I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother. And it's all right if you have to draw a line down the middle of the room, but when he wants to crawl under the covers with you because he's scared, I hope you let him.

 When you want to see a Disney movie and your little brother wants to tag along, I hope you'll let him. I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends and that you live in a town where you can do it safely.

On rainy days when you have to catch a ride I hope your driver doesn't have to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with someone as uncool as your mom. If you want a slingshot, I hope your dad teaches you how to make one instead of buying one.

I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books. When you learn to use those new fangled computers, I hope you also learn to add and subtract in your head. I hope you get razzed by your friends when you have your first crush on a girl, and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what Ivory soap tastes like.

May you skin your knee climbing a mountain, burn your hand on the stove and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole. I hope you get sick when someone blows cigar smoke in your face. If you must try beer, I hope you don't like it.

And if a friend offers you dope or a joint, I hope you realize he is not your friend. I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your grandpa and go fishing with your uncle.

 May you feel sorrow at a funeral and the joy of holidays. I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a baseball through a neighbor's window and that she hugs you and kisses you at Christmas time when you give her a plaster of Paris mold of your hand.

These things I wish for you - tough times and disappointment, hard work and happiness.

TODAY’S WORD

forgo \for-GO\, transitive verb;

Inflected forms: forwent, forgone, forgoing, forgoes:

To abstain from; to do without.

Forgo derives from Old English forgan, "to go without, to forgo," from for-, "without" + gan, to go.

TODAY’S REFLECTION

Perfect love casts our fear.

I John 4:18

Have you ever gone to the grocery store on an empty stomach? You’re a sitting duck. You buy everything you don’t need. Doesn’t matter if it’s good for you—you just want to fill your tummy. When you’re lonely, you do the same in life, pulling stuff off the shelf, not because you need it, but because you are hungry for love.

Why do we do it? Because we fear facing life alone. For fear of not fitting in, we take the drugs. For fear of standing out, we wear the clothes. For fear of appealing small, we go into debt and buy the house. For fear of going unnoticed, we dress to seduce or to impress…For fear of not being loved, we search for love in all the wrong places.

But all that changes when we discover God’s perfect love. And “perfect love casts our fear.”

 1 of 365 devotionals in Grace for the Moment, Volume 2

By Max Lucado

TODAY’S ADVICE FROM THE OLD FARMER’S ALMANAC

Plant beans away from onions; they’re incompatible

22 DAYS TIL SUMMER !

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart

Psalm 37:4

May there be a miracle in YOUR life today and may you have the EYES to SEE it!

I Love You All !!!

Be Blessed !!!

MA

MY HOMEPAGE

 I believe we should live ‘ON THE BRIGHT SIDE’ www.bigmarainey.com

MY JOURNALS http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

http://onyama.blogspot.com/

To see archived ‘On the Bright Side’ Newsletters click on the link below: http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/ONTHEBRIGHTSIDE/

BRIGHT SIDE LOGO BY SON #6 http://www.littlerainey.com/index.html

No comments: