Tuesday, November 6, 2007

FOR WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 7TH, 2007

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

NOVEMBER 7th, 2OO7

TODAY'S THOUGHT

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task.

William James

TODAY’S ACTION

You have it easily in your power to increase the sum total of this world's happiness now.

How?

By giving a few words of sincere appreciation to someone who is lonely or discouraged. Perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime.

Dale Carnegie

TODAY'S QUOTE

There is true courage in the acts of every day living.

Rick Beneteau

HAPPY WEDNESDAY !!

OVER THE HUMP DAY!

Winter came to Northern Ohio yesterday. It's too early to last but we saw snow flakes and ice balls. It was very windy all day and when my next door sister got home from work she called me at work to say our garage roof had blown off. Thanks to our roofer who came right out, it now has some kind of weather proof stuff on it till we get a new roof put on. They'll call tomorrow with the bad news of how much it will cost. Thankfully, it wasn't the house roof, so I'm thinking garage roofs can't cost too much. (???) We'll see....

I made another dent in my Christmas shopping today as I found a nice Antinque and gift shop near where I work. I love finding someplace new to visit on my lunch hour and I know I'll be going back to this place . It had a lot of unusual things in it. I did vote on my way home from work. There was hardly anyone there. Very quiet voting year. Next year will be a different story.

Work had been crazy this week so far. Today my boss will be back from his 2 week vacation so It'll be another hectic one I'm sure. Work had been crazy this week so far. Today my boss will be back from his 2 week vacation so It'll be another hectic one I'm sure.

I've been told there is a problem with the links in my newsletter so I'll stop putting them in . I will tell you where they are but I won't include the www. in my newsletter. So if you want to see one of them just add the www. and type address into your browser.

Have a great day all ! Another wonderful one on the Way !

TODAY’S PRAYERS

Please pray for God's protection of our troops and HIS wisdom for their commanders.

Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need . I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior.

GOD BLESS YOU!

25 WORDS

God, I thank You for today, for the ways You will bless me, and for the ways that I will serve others in Your name

TODAY IS…BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE WITH ALMONDS DAY

Chocolate is said to cure all things including depression. And that's good enough for us. For all fellow chocolate lovers, here is our secret recipe for Bittersweet Chocolate Almond Squares

WARNING!

For The Extreme Chocoholic Only!

1 cup flour

1 stick butter or margarine (plus 2 Tbsp) - softened

3 Tbsp brown sugar

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

 1/2 cup heavy cream

3 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate - cut-up

1 egg

1 tsp instant espresso powder

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch

1 C almonds -- chopped

Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375 F. To prepare crust, combine flour, 1 stick butter, and brown sugar. Blend well. Add vanilla and sontinue blending until dough clings together in a ball. Press evenly into bottom of an ungreased 8-inch square baking pan. Refrigerate while preparing topping. In a medium saucepan, combine cream, chocolate, and remaining 2 Tbsp butter. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. remove from heat; let cool slightly. With wire whisk, beat in egg, expresso powder, granulated sugar, and cornstarch until well blended. Stir in almonds. Pour chocolate mixture over chilled crust. Bake 20 to 25 mins, or until set. Let cool in pan. Cut into 25 squares. Sift powdered sugar over top. Store in refrigerator.

TODAY'S TRIVIA

Today is Republican Elephant Day, marking the debut of a cartoon elephant to represent the Republican Party on this date in 1874 in Harper's Weekly..

1847: American songwriter Will Thompson was born. His greatest hits were "Jesus Is All the World to Me" and "Softly and Tenderly Jesus is Calling."

1876 - The outcome of the election of 1876 was not known until the week before the inauguration itself. Democrat Samuel Tilden had won the greater number of popular votes and lacked only one electoral vote to claim a majority in the electoral college. Twenty disputed electoral votes, however, kept hopes alive for Republican Governor Rutherford B. (Birchard) Hayes of Ohio. When all was said and done, the Electoral college selected Hayes as the 19th President of the United States.

1932 - CBS radio presented the first broadcast of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. Matt Crowley, Curtis Arnall, Carl Frank and John Larkin played Buck in the serial over the years (1932-1947).

1944 - U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt won a fourth term, defeating Republican Thomas E. Dewey. F.D.R. was the only President to be elected for more than two terms; he was elected four times with three different Vice Presidents.

1956 - Elvis Presley hit the charts with Love Me. The song was the first million-seller to make the charts without being released as a single. It was, instead, an EP (extended play) 45 rpm, with three other songs on it:

1965: The Pillsbury Dough Boy debuted in television commercials

1976 - Gone With the Wind was aired (over two nights) on NBC-TV. The showing was the highest-rated TV show in history. 65 percent of all viewers turned on their sets to watch Scarlet O’Hara and Rhett Butler.

TODAY’S SMILE

A pastor always used the phrase, "It might be worse," when some calamity would come his way.

One day a friend said to him, "I've something to tell you, and you won't be able to use your favorite phrase.

I dreamt last night that I died and went to hell."

 "It might be worse," said the preacher.

"Man alive, how could it be worse?"

"It might be true."

one more...

How come we choose from just two people for president, and 50 for Miss America?

Author Unknown

TODAY'S LINK

Your Dog's Amazing Sense of Smell He can sniff out chocolate (a big no-no!) buried at the bottom of a grocery bag. He whiffs in seconds when another canine has invaded his yard. Just how amazing is your best friend's gift?

Well, for starters, dogs: Have 25 times as many scent receptors as humans. Can sense concentrations of smells about 100 million times lower than humans. Are able to smell the differences in a mixture of scents. For example, dogs can distinguish between the cheese and pepperoni smells in pizza. May be able to sniff out certain kinds of cancers in humans, according to recent scientific studies.

Source: Your Dog, Fall/Winter 2003

iams.com

TODAY’S WORD

gamine \gam-EEN; GAM-een\, noun:

1. A girl who wanders about the streets; an urchin.

2. A playfully mischievous girl or young woman.

Gamine comes from the French. A boy who wanders about the street is a gamin

TODAY’S REFLECTION

You shall not swear falsely, but carry out the vows you have made to the Lord. … Let your word be ‘Yes, Yes’ or ‘No, No.

Matthew 5:33, 37

Day after day, the important choices and the seemingly minor ones I make add up to a lifetime of experiences. As I consider what this day may hold in store, I let the inspiration of God guide me so that I make the very best choices.

To begin each day, I invitedivine inspiration to light my way. As the day progresses— whether I am choosing clothes appropriate for weather conditions, food for nourishment, or people for supportive company—I realize the presence of God is supporting me in making the right decision.

Trusting in the inspiration of God, I gratefully accept my good.

dailyword.com

TODAY’S ADVICE FROM THE OLD FARMER’S ALMANAC

Keep spider plants, chrysanthemums, or golden pothos on your desk to reduce indoor pollutants.

45 DAYS UNTIL WINTER !

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart

Psalm 37:4

May there be a miracle in YOUR life today and may you have the EYES to SEE it!

I Love You All !!!

Be Blessed !!!

MA

MY HOMEPAGE

I believe we should live ‘ON THE BRIGHT SIDE’

bigmarainey.com

MY JOURNALS

journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

onyama.blogspot.com/

To see archived ‘On the Bright Side’ Newsletters click on the link below:

journals.aol.com/marainey1/ONTHEBRIGHTSIDE/

BRIGHT SIDE LOGO BY SON #6

littlerainey.com/index.html

 

 

No comments: