Sunday, November 25, 2007

FOR MONDAY, NOVEMBER 26TH, 2007

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

NOVEMBER 26th, 2OO7

 

 

TODAY'S THOUGHT

Problems are sent to us as gifts.

Anonymous

 

TODAY’S ACTION

Be willing to take lovingly each small gift of life.

 

TODAY'S QUOTE

It isn't enough to talk about peace.

One must believe in it.

And it isn't enough to believe in it.

One must work at it.

Eleanor Roosevelt

 

HAPPY MONDAY!!

Back to work this morning !

I hope you all had a great holiday weekend. Now we can begin to seriously think about Christmas. There are lots of mixed feelings on how to celebrate Christmas.

I think I love most every aspect of it and will share some thoughts with you as I prepare for the big day.

Advent will begin December 2nd. so this week I'll be putting away my fall decorations and make room for my Advent wreath on my dining room table.

Just as the season of Lent prepares us for Easter, Advent prepares us for celebrating Christmas. There are all kinds of things you can do to count down the days until Christmas and I hope to be able to share a few of those too.

Have a great day all ! Another wonderful one on the Way !

 

TODAY’S PRAYERS

Please pray for God's protection of our troops and HIS wisdom for their commanders.

LORD, hold our troops in you loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perfor for us in our time of need. I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior

 

25 WORDS

God, I thank You for today, for the ways You will bless me, and for the ways that I will serve others in Your name

 

TO REMEMBER...

I am in the hands of God,

and in God's time all things will be made well.

 

TODAY IS…COLLEGE FRATERNITY DAY

The first Kappa Alpha formed On November 26, 1825. If you are in college, ever went to college or just wanted to go to college, celebrate Fraternity Day!

Now... if we can just figure out who first said, "Boola, Boola!"

 

TODAY'S TRIVIA

Today is Charles Schulz Day, marking the cartoonist's birth on this date in 1922. Schulz's "Peanuts" comic strip was carried in more than 2,500 newspapers worldwide.

Today is John Harvard Day, marking his birth on this date in 1607. The young clergyman died at age 30 and left part of his estate to a local college, which renamed itself Harvard in his honor

1789: President Washington declared Nov. 26, 1789, to be Thanksgiving Day, the first U.S. holiday by presidential proclamation

1864 - Charles L. Dodgson, whose pen name was Lewis Carroll, sent a handwritten manuscript to Alice Liddel. The manuscript was titled Alice’s Adventures Underground. It was an early Christmas present to the 12-year-old girl. Later, the manuscript was renamed Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.

1942: The movie "Casablanca," starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, premiered at the Hollywood Theater in New York

 

TODAY’S SMILE

Letter to Santa

Snowflakes softly falling

Upon your window they play

Your blankets snug around you,

Into sleep you drift away.

I bend to gently kiss you,

when I see that on the floor

there's a letter, neatly written

I wonder who it's for.

I quietly unfold it making

sure you're still asleep,

It's a Christmas list for Santa

one my heart will always keep.

It started just as always

with the toys seen on TV,

A new watch for your father

and a winter coat for me.

But as my eyes read on

I could see that deep inside

there were many things you wished

for that your loving heart would hide.

 You asked if you friend Molly

could have another Dad;

It seems her father hits her

and it makes you very sad.

Then you asked Dear Santa

if the neighbors down the street

Could find a job,

that he might have some food,

and clothes, and heat.

You saw a family on the news

whose house had blown away,

 "Dear Santa, send them just one thing,

a place where they can stay."

"And Santa, those four cookies

that I left you for a treat,

Could you take them to the

children who have nothing else to eat."

 "Do you know that little bear

 I have the one I love so dear?

I'm leaving it for you to

take to Africa this year".

"And as you fly your reindeer

on this night of Jesus' birth,

Could your magic bring to everyone

goodwill and peace on earth"

. "There's one last thing before you go,

so grateful I would be,

 If you'd smile at Baby Jesus

 in the manger by our tree."

I pulled the letter close to me

I felt it melt my heart.

Those tiny hands had written

what no other could impart.

"And a little child shall lead them,"

was whispered in my ear

 As I watched you sleep on

Christmas Eve while

Santa Claus was here.

TODAY'S LINK

Recipes galore

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/sweetspot/

Apple Gingerbread Cobbler

1 14-ounce package gingerbread mix, divided

¾ cups water

¼ cup brown sugar

 ½ cup butter, divided

½ cup pecans, chopped

2 21-ounce cans apple pie filling

vanilla ice cream (optional)

Stir together 2 cups gingerbread mix and ¾ cups water until smooth. Set mixture aside. Stir together the remaining gingerbread mix and brown sugar. Cut in ¼ cup butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in chopped pecans. Set mixture aside.

Combine apple pie filling and remaining ¼ cup butter in a saucepan and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes over medium heat or until thoroughly heated. Spoon hot apple mixture evenly into a lightly greased 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Spoon gingerbread mixture evenly over hot apple pie filling mixture. Sprinkle evenly with pecan and brown sugar mixture.

Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes or until set. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

This sounds delicious so I might just have to try it!

 

TODAY’S WORD

recumbent \rih-KUM-bunt\, adjective:

1. Reclining; lying down.

2. Resting; inactive; idle.

Recumbent comes from the present participle of Latin recumbere, "lie back, to recline," from re-, "back" + -cumbere "to lie

 

TODAY’S REFLECTION

He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it.

Mark 8:34—35

We need to take time for ourselves to be with God, but relaxed should not be synonymous with passive; taking it easy does not mean that we are no longer obligated to speak out on behalf of the Almighty

The God whom we worship is not one who is calling us to stick our head in the sand to avoid the world, but instead One who is longing for us to engage the world so that the truth, love, and peace of the Almighty might be felt by all

Relaxing is fine. Passivity is not. Let us serve the Lord as we have been called to do!

dailyguideposts.com

 

TODAY’S ADVICE FROM THE OLD FARMER’S ALMANAC

To clean a steam iron, fill it with vinegar, let sit overnight, and flush with water

26 DAYS UNTIL WINTER !

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart

Psalm 37:4

May there be a miracle in YOUR life today

and may you have the EYES to SEE it!

I Love You All !!!

Be Blessed !!!

MA

MY HOMEPAGE

 I believe we should live ‘ON THE BRIGHT SIDE’ at bigmarainey.com

MY JOURNALS at journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

and at onyama.blogspot.com

See archived ‘On the Bright Side’ Newsletters at

journals.aol.com/marainey1/ON THEBRIGHTSIDE/ BRIGHT SIDE

LOGO BY SON #6

at littlerainey.com/index.html

 

No comments: