Sunday, December 16, 2007

FOR SUNDAY , DECEMBER 16TH, 2007

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

DECEMBER 16TH, 2OO7

 

 

TODAY'S THOUGHT

We consider Christmas as the encounter, the great encounter, the historical encounter, the decisive encounter, between God and mankind. He who has faith knows this truly; let him rejoice.

Pope Paul VI

 

TODAY’S ACTION

Radiate the glow of Christmastime

 

TODAY’S QUOTE

Looking back, may I be filled with gratitude;

Looking forward, may I be filled with hope;

Looking upward, may I be aware of strength;

Looking inward, may I find peace;

Author Unknown

 

HAPPY SUNDAY !!

RAIN is falling this morning and it’s 33 degrees right now . They are saying more snow today than we got yesterday.

I heard from DS#2 yesterday. He was on his way home. He’ll actually be in his home port tomorrow, but they had several stop overs on the way. Then he’ll be going off to see his children for Christmas. After that he has to move into his new home that has been waiting for him ever since he left for overseas.

It was very good to hear from him, as I’ve known the time was getting close, but wasn’t sure exactly when. I’m just about finished up here with my Christmas preparations and can slow down now and enjoy it all.

Take good care all!

Have a great day all ! Another wonderful one on the Way !

 

TODAY’S PRAYERS

Please pray for God's protection of our troops and HIS wisdom for their commanders.

Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL !

 

25 WORDS

God, I thank You for today, for the ways You will bless me, and for the ways that I will serve others in Your name

 

TO REMEMBER…

I am in the hands of God, and in God’s time all things will be made well.

 

TODAY IS…BEETHOVEN DAY

In honor of the birthday of Ludwig Von Beethoven Born in Germany in 1770

Happy Beethoven Day!

May it be an orchestration of celebration

 

TODAY’S TRIVIA

Today is National Chocolate Covered Anything Day

Today is National Eat What You Want Day

On this day in 1901, the famous story, Peter Rabbit, by Beatrix Potter, was printed for the first time, complete with Potter’s watercolor illustrations.

1903 - Women ushers were employed for the first time at the Majestic Theatre in New York City

1905 - Sime Silverman published the first issue of Variety, the weekly show biz magazine. The first issue was 16 pages in length and sold for a nickel. Variety and Daily Variety are still going strong.

 

TODAY’S SMILE

The Story of the Christmas Guest

by Helen Steiner Rice

It happened one day at December's end Some neighbors called on an old-time friend. And they found his shop so meager and mean,

Made gay with a thousand boughs of green. And old Conrad was sitting with face ashine.

When he suddenly stopped as he stitched the twine. And he said "My friends at dawn today,

When the cock was crowing the night away, The Lord appeared in a dream to me.

And He said, 'I'm coming your guest to be" So I've been busy with feet astir, Strewing my shop with branches of fir.

The table is spread and the kettle is shined, And over the rafters the holly is twined.

And now I'll wait for my Lord to appear; And listen closely so I will hear, His steps as he nears my humble place.

And I'll open the door and I'll look on his face."

Then his friends went home and left Conrad alone,

For this was the happiest day he had known.

 For long since his family had passed away.

And Conrad had spent many a sad Christmas Day.

But he knew with the Lord as his Christmas guest,

This Christmas would be the dearest and best.

 So he listened with only joy in his heart, And with every sound he would rise with a start,

And looked for the Lord to be at his door. Like the vision that he had had a few hours before.

So he ran to the window after hearing a sound, But all he could see on the snow covered ground

Was a shabby beggar whose shoes were torn. And all his clothes were ragged and worn.

But old Conrad was touched and he went to the door

And he said, "Your feet must be cold and sore. I have some shoes in my shop for you. And I have a coat to keep you warmer, too."

So with grateful heart the man went away. But Conrad notice the time of day

And he wondered what made the dear Lord so late,

And how much longer he'd have to wait.

Then he heard another knock, and he ran to the door,

 But it was only a stranger once more.

A bent old lady with a shawl of black,

And a bundle of kindling piled on her back.

But she asked only for a place to rest, a place that was reserved, for Conrad's great guest.

But her voice seemed to plead, "Don't send me away,

Let me rest for awhile this Christmas Day."

So Conrad brewed her a steaming cup

And told her to sit at the table and sup.

After she had left, he was filled with dismay

For he saw that the hours were slipping away

The Lord had not come as He said He would

And Conrad felt sure he had misunderstood.

When out of the stillness he heard a cry.

"Please help, me and tell me - Where am I?"

So again he opened his friendly door.

And stood disappointed as twice before.

It was a child who had wandered away,

And was lost from her family on Christmas Day.

Again Conrad's heart was heavy and sad,

But he knew he could make this little girl glad.

So he called her in and he wiped her tears,

And he quieted all her childish fears.

Then he led her back to her home once more.

Then as he entered his own darkened door,

He knew that the Lord was not coming today,

For the hours of Christmas, had all passed away.

So he went to his room, and he knelt down to pray.

He said, "Lord, why did you delay?

What kept You from coming to call on me?

I wanted so much Your face to see."

Then softly, in the silence, a voice he heard.

"Lift up your head - I have kept My word.

Three times my shadow crossed your floor.

Three times I came to your lowly door.

I was the beggar with bruised cold feet;

I was the woman you gave something to eat;

I was the child on the homeless street.

Three times I knocked, three times I came in,

And each time I found the warmth of a friend.

Of all the gifts, love is the best.

I was honored to be your Christmas guest..

 

The 12 Days of Christmas -- The Rest of the Story

When most people hear of "The 12 Days of Christmas", they think of the song. This song had its origins as a teaching tool to instruct young people in the meaning and content of the Christian faith. Each of the items in the song represents something of religious significance. The hidden meaning of each gift was designed to help young Christians learn their faith.

The song goes, "On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me..." The "true love" represents God and the "me" who receives these presents is the Christian. Here you go:

The "partridge in a pear tree" was Jesus Christ who died on a tree as a gift from God.

The "two turtle doves" were the Old and New Testaments - another gift from God.

The "three French hens" were faith, hope and love - the three gifts of the Spirit that abide (I Corinthians 13).

The "four calling birds" were the four Gospels which sing the song of salvation through Jesus Christ.

The "five golden rings" were the first five books of the Bible also called the "Books of Moses".

The "six geese a-laying" were the six days of creation.

The "seven swans a swimming" were the "seven gifts of the Holy Spirit". (I Corinthians 12:8-11; Romans 12, Ephesians 4; I Peter 4:10-11).

The "eight maids a milking" were the eight beatitudes.

The "nine ladies dancing" were nine fruits of the Holy Spirit. (Galatians 5:22 & 23)

The "ten lords a-leaping" were the Ten Commandments.

The "eleven pipers piping" were the eleven faithful disciples.

The "twelve drummers drumming" were the twelve points of the Apostles' Creed.

So, the next time you hear "The 12 Days of Christmas", consider how this otherwise non-religious sounding song had its origins in the Christian faith.

TODAY’S LINK

SNOW GLOBE

http://ww12.e-tractions.com/snowglobe/globe.htm

 

TODAY’S WORD

crèche noun

1. A representation of the Nativity, usually with statues or figurines. 2. A hospital for foundlings. 3. Chiefly British. A day nursery.

French, from Old French cresche, crib, of Germanic origin.

 

TODAY’S REFLECTION

Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him

Ezekiel 1:28

The rainbow represents hope and the fulfillment of promises. The enemy of hope is despair, and this generation has plenty of that. Witness the suicide rate from young to old. Where is the middle ground wherein hope lies?

What is in that person who knows without a doubt that God does care and He will take utmost pains with us? What is the rainbow in that person's life? Is it a Person, a person, an ideal, a dream? Is it all of the above?

When did God set the rainbow in that person's life and make it radiant? Let us search for the rainbow God has for us today!

 

TODAY’S ADVICE FROM THE OLD FARMER’S ALMANAC

For a flaky, tender piecrust, make sure that all the ingredients and utensils are cold

6 DAYS UNTIL WINTER !

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart

Psalm 37:4

 

May there be a miracle in YOUR life today and may you have the EYES to SEE it!

I Love You All !!!

Be Blessed !!!

MA

 

MY HOMEPAGE

I believe we should live ‘ON THE BRIGHT SIDE’

www.bigmarainey.com

MY JOURNALS

http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

http://onyama.blogspot.com/

To see archived ‘On the Bright Side’ Newsletters click on the link below: http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/ONTHEBRIGHTSIDE/

BRIGHT SIDE LOGO BY SON #6

http://www.littlerainey.com/index.html

 

No comments: