Monday, February 18, 2008

FOR MONDAY, FEBRUARY 18TH, 2008

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

February 18th, 2008

 

TODAY'S THOUGHT

When you cease to make a contribution, you begin to die.

Eleanor Roosevelt

TODAY’S ACTION

Lose yourself in something that you believe in

TODAY’S QUOTE

I wish I were big enough to admit my shortcomings, brave enough to accept criticism, compassionate enough to understand human frailties, human enough to be thoughtful and open enough to be devoted to the love of God.

Gordon Taggart

 

HAPPY MONDAY !!

BACK TO WORK

I had a great day sale shopping with DD yesterday and I’ll now be one of the best dressed campers around as I found lots of tee shirts and sweat pants etc on sale for really cheap prices. I even found a pair of my favorite flip flops at one of the shoe stores and they were cheaper than the ones I bought when we went to visit DS#4 last Spring too.

The sunshine managed to come out in the afternoon and it got in the 50’s so it was nice being out. Today they are still saying we could see more snow. Winter is not over by a long shot.

On the calendar for the week ahead is:

Tuesday evening – dinner out with DD and her hubby

Thursday evening – Bible Study

Today at work will be really quiet as lots of people are off due to the President’s Day holiday.

Have a great day all ! Another wonderful one on the Way !

 

TODAY’S PRAYERS

Please pray for God's protection of our troops and HIS wisdom for their commanders.

Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior.

 

25 WORDS

God, I thank You for today, for the ways You will bless me, and for the ways that I will serve others in Your name

 

TO REMEMBER…

I am in the hands of God, and in God’s time all things will be made well.

 

TODAY IS…PLAY DOH DAY

 Play-Doh was created in 1956 by Joe McVicker when he made modeling clay out of wallpaper paste for his sister’s pre-school students. The white dough could be shaped into anything, squashed back into a ball and kept soft in an airtight container. Rainbow Crafts in Cincinnati, Ohio sold the Play-Doh to department stores and schools. It was soon picked up by Kenner, made into lots of colors and sold worldwide

 

TODAY’S TRIVIA

Today is Presidents' Day in the U.S., observing the birth dates of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln

Today is National Crab Stuffed Flounder Day

Today is National Clean Out Your Cubby Holes Day

Today is Pluto Day. The ninth planet, not accepted as a planet by some, was discovered on this date in 1930 by astronomer Clyde Tombaugh at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona. It was named for the Roman god of the underworld

1885: Mark Twain's ''Adventures of Huckleberry Finn'' was published

1908 - U.S. postage stamps were sold for the very first time. They cost only a penny...

1960: The Everly Brothers recorded "When Will I Be Loved

 

TODAY’S SMILE

A cactus stood all alone in the desert, wondering why it was stuck in the middle of nowhere. "I do nothing but stand here all day," it sighed. "What use am I? I'm the ugliest plant in the desert. My spines are thick and prickly, my leaves are rubbery and tough, my skin is thick and bumpy. I can't offer shade or juicy fruit to any passing traveler. I don't see that I'm any use at all."

All it did was stand in the sun day after day, growing taller and fatter. Its spines grew longer and its leaves tougher, and it swelled here and there until it was lumpy and lopsided all over. It truly was strange- looking. "I wish I could do something useful," it sighed.

By day hawks circled high overhead. "What can I do with my life?" the cactus called. Whether they heard or not, the hawks sailed away. At night the moon floated into the sky and cast its pale glow on the desert floor. "What good can I do with my life?" the cactus called. The moon only stared coldly as it mounted its course.

A lizard crawled by, leaving a little trail in the sand with its tail. "What worthy deed can I do?" the cactus called. "You?" the lizard laughed, pausing a moment. "Worthy deed? Why, you can't do anything! The hawks circle way overhead, tracing delicate patterns for us all to admire.

The moon hangs high like a lantern at night, so we can see our ways home to our loved ones. Even I, the lowly lizard, have something to do. I decorate the sands with these beautiful brushstrokes as I pull my tail along. Buy you? You do nothing but get uglier every day."

And so it went on, year after year. At last the cactus grew old, and it knew its time was short. "Oh, Lord," it cried out, "I've wondered so long, and I've tried so hard. Forgive me if I've failed to find something worthy to do. I fear that now it's too late."

 But just then the cactus felt a strange stirring and unfolding, and it knew a surge of joy that erased all despair. At its very tip, like a sudden crown, a glorious flower suddenly opened in bloom. Never had the desert known such a blossom. Its fragrance perfumed the air far and wide and brought happiness to all passing by.

The butterflies paused to admire its beauty, and that night even the moon smiled when it rose to find such a treasure. The cactus heard a voice. "You have waited long," the Lord said. "The heart that seeks to do good reflects My glory, and will always bring something worthwhile to the world, something in which all can rejoice - even if for only a moment."

Author Unknown

 

TODAY’S LINK

 WHEN EAGLES FLY

http://www.pennyparker2.com/storms.html

 

TODAY’S WORD

pestiferous \pes-TIF-uh-ruhs\, adjective:

1. Bearing or bringing disease.

2. Infected with or contaminated by a pestilential disease.

3. Morally evil or dangerous to society; pernicious.

4. Bothersome; troublesome; annoying.

Pestiferous is from Latin pestifer, "pestilential," from pestis, "pestilence," + -fer, "bearing

 

TODAY’S REFLECTION

But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD, and the LORD sent Nathan to David.

II Samuel 11:27-12:1

One of the biggest reasons that we fall back into old habits, those decisions that leave us in conflict with how we should love God and neighbor, is that we try and do it alone.

 Readjusting our ethical compass should not be done in a vacuum; we need someone else who will applaud us when we take good steps, and admonish, and encourage us when we come up short When you have someone who holds you accountable, you are reminded on a regular basis what it is that God has set for you to do.

 Maybe that person is your spouse, a child, a friend, a co-worker, or a spiritual guide. Whatever your case may be, search out that person and enlist his or her help. When you do this, you will be amazed at how clearly God begins to speak, because now God is able to speak though that person.

You want to make right decisions? Make sure that someone holds you accountable!

 

TODAY’S ADVICE FROM THE OLD FARMER’S ALMANAC

To eliminate the smell of burned food, boil a small amount of vinegar

31 DAYS UNTIL SPRING !

 

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart

Psalm 37:4

May there be a miracle in YOUR life today and may you have the EYES to SEE it!

I Love You All !!!

 Be Blessed !!!

MA

MY HOMEPAGE

I believe we should live ‘ON THE BRIGHT SIDE’

www.bigmarainey.com

MY JOURNALS

http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

http://onyama.blogspot.com/

To see archived ‘On the Bright Side’ Newsletters click on the link below: http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/ONTHEBRIGHTSIDE/

BRIGHT SIDE LOGO BY SON #6

http://www.littlerainey.com/index.html

 

No comments: