Sunday, January 20, 2008

FOR MONDAY, JANUARY 21ST, 2008

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

JANUARY 21st, 2008

 

 

TODAY'S THOUGHT

Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs.

Henry Ford

 

TODAY’S ACTION

Find strength for today and hope for tomorrow

 

TODAY’S QUOTE

If you are not thankful for what you do have, why should God give you anything else to murmur about?

Joyce Meyer

 

HAPPY MONDAY !!

It is a National Holiday for some. We won’t get mail and the banks will be closed. I however, am off to work as usual. I’ll never understand how this all works, but I only get 6 paid holidays off from work and those depend on whether or not Christmas and New Years fall on a weekend or not. Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day And Thanksgiving are four I know will be off for sure.

I talked with DS#1 on the phone yesterday evening and got the latest update on the Stroll that I’ll be doing next Saturday. Sign in begins at 9:30 they say and we start at 10:00. We are supposed to leave here about 8:00 so I’ll just be there in time (I hope).

DD and DS#5 were in church Sunday morning and all is good with them, we didn’t linger long after church as it was too cold to stand outside and talk. There is not much news from home to share, all is pretty quiet here.

Have a great day all ! Another wonderful one on the Way !

 

TODAY’S PRAYERS

Lord help me to remember the things in life that really matter

 

Please pray for God's protection of our troops and HIS wisdom for their commanders.

Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior.

GOD BLESS YOU !

 

25 WORDS

God, I thank You for today, for the ways You will bless me, and for the ways that I will serve others in Your name

 

TO REMEMBER…

I am in the hands of God, and in God’s time all things will be made well.

 

TODAY IS…ELECTRIC BLANKET DAY

In 1912, S.I. Russell patented an electric heating pad for tuberculosis patients. The small square of fabric with insolated heating coils was to meant to warm the chest and help them breathe. It sold for $150 - a staggering price at the time. People immediately wanted to make larger, bed-sized pads, but it wasn't until the 1930s that the first electric blanket was made. Today, we have standards for electric blankets that regulate both heating and safety.

 

TODAY’S TRIVIA

Today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. He was born on January 15, 1929

Since 1986, the third Monday in January has been a federal holiday in observance of the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr., a Baptist minister, Nobel Peace Prize winner, and civil rights leader dedicated to nonviolence. It was the first new federal holiday created since 1948, when Memorial Day became a national holiday, and only the third in this century (the other was Armistice, or Veterans, Day). Dr. King is the only American besides George Washington to have his birthday designated a national holiday

Today is National Hugging Day, especially for hugging family and friends,

Today is National Send a Hug Day

Today is National Granola Bar Day

Today is National Hot 'n' Spicy Food Day

1812 - The famous Y-bridge in Zanesville, OH was approved for construction. Good thing. The traffic tie-ups were a mess waiting for those ferry boats in the morning and afternoon trying to cross the Muskingum River

1915: The first Kiwanis Club was founded, in Detroit

1958: The Kingston Trio was awarded a gold record for "Tom Dooley."

 

TODAY’S LINK

Your FLYing Lessons will guide you through babysteps to help you set up routines, get rid of your clutter, and put your home and life in order

 http://flylady.net/

 

TODAY’S SMILE

A traveler hired a donkey to take him to the next town. He agreed a fee with the owner of the donkey. “There is just one drawback,” explained the owner of the donkey. “My donkey won’t walk very far unless I poke him with a stick now and again. You ride on its back. I don’t mind walking behind you.”

It was a hot day but they still made good progress. In the middle of the day with the sun at its hottest, they stopped for a rest. “I shall sit in the shade of the donkey,” said the traveller. “Oh no you won’t” snapped the owner, “That is where I am going to rest. It’s the only shade around for miles.”

 “I’ve hired the donkey, so I should sit in the shade” argued the traveller. “Not at all” shouted the owner. “You hired the donkey, not its shadow. That belongs to me.”

The owner was so angry that he gave the traveller a push. In a moment both were fighting furiously. In the meantime the donkey grew bored and trotted off taking its shadow with her.

Moral of the story: Most arguments are petty and useless.

http://www.todayismygifttoyou.ie.

 

Thoughts About Life . . .

Why are things typed up but written down?

How is it that "it was an uphill battle" and "it went downhill from there" mean the same thing?

We had Cured Ham for Christmas dinner. We all wondered what illness it was cured of.

Why do people say they "worked like a dog"? Our dog just sat around all day.

When our kids were younger and they got a little crazy, my wife used a nice, safe playpen. When they calmed down, she climbed out.

How is it that we put a man on the moon before we figured out that wheels on luggage would be a good idea?

I'm a light eater. As soon as it's light, I start to eat.

 I used to watch golf on TV during the weekend, but my doctor told me I needed more exercise ... so now I watch tennis.

Why are you "in" a movie, but you're "on" TV?

How come you never see Cupid with a girlfriend?

I saw a sign the other day that said "Life is one contradiction after another." Someone had written in under it, "No, it's not."

 

LAST ONE FOR TODAY…

The teacher asked the pupils to tell the meaning of loving-kindness. A little boy jumped up and said, "Well, if I was hungry and someone gave me a piece of bread that would be kindness. But if they put a little jam on it, that would be loving-kindness.

 

TODAY’S WORD

adventitious \ad-ven-TISH-uhs\, adjective:

1. Added extrinsically; not essentially inherent.

2. (Biology) Out of the proper or usual place; as, "adventitious buds or roots

Adventitious comes from Latin adventicius, "coming from without, from outside sources," from the past participle of advenire, "to come towards or to; (of events) to happen," from ad- "to" + venire, "to come

 

TODAY’S REFLECTION

Jesus said, "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.

Matthew 11:28

I am often so occupied with my day-to-day business that I forget that Christ wants a close relationship with me. He wants me to find rest and peace in the assurance that he is near me in every experience, both big and small, each day.

Thankfully, I am learning to remember that Christ is with me when I wake up in the morning, when I go to sleep at night, and in the tasks I take care of during the day. He is present through the people I meet and through my family.

When I breathe a prayer, I am telling him that I want him close to me. Long and tedious prayers are not necessary. Withdrawing in silence and peace with Christ during a busy day can be difficult. So it is important for me to start every day with an open Bible and to give the day over to the Lord before the busyness begins.

Daily Devotional from the UPPER ROOM

 

TODAY’S ADVICE FROM THE OLD FARMER’S ALMANAC

Never give a knife as a housewarming present, or your new neighbor will become an enemy

59 DAYS UNTIL SPRING !

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart

Psalm 37:4

May there be a miracle in YOUR life today and may you have the EYES to SEE it!

I Love You All !!!

Be Blessed !!!

MA

 

MY HOMEPAGE

I believe we should live ‘ON THE BRIGHT SIDE’

www.bigmarainey.com

MY JOURNALS http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

http://onyama.blogspot.com/

To see archived ‘On the Bright Side’ Newsletters click on the link below: http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/ONTHEBRIGHTSIDE/

BRIGHT SIDE LOGO BY SON #6

http://www.littlerainey.com/index.html

 

No comments: