Tuesday, August 19, 2008

FOR TUESDAY, August 19th, 2008

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

AUGUST 19TH, 2008

TODAY'S THOUGHT

Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal.

Ralph Vaull Starr

TODAY’S ACTION

Look at all of your options before making life-changing decisions

TODAY’S QUOTE

Be slow in choosing a friend, slower in changing.

Benjamin Franklin

HAPPY TUESDAY !!

We had another beautiful summer day to enjoy on Monday. After work this evening I’ll be going to my dulcimer get together. We usually meet once a month until January, February and March when the weather is unpredictable and cold. Then we take a break. I for one do not like to go out on cold snowy dark nights.

For now though, the weather is so nice and I try to get outside every evening even though it is mostly in my own backyard. That is until the weekend then it’s mostly outside except for sleeping. My camper is small, but that’s ok as little time is spent in it.

I try to make the most of what remains of summer because before we know it ‘cabin fever’ time will be here again.

Have a great day all ! Another wonderful one on the Way !

TODAY’S PRAYERS

Please pray for God's protection of our troops and HIS wisdom for their commanders.

Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior.

GOD BLESS YOU !

25 WORDS

God, I thank You for today, for the ways You will bless me, and for the ways that I will serve others in Your name

TO REMEMBER…

I am in the hands of God, and in God’s time all things will be made well.

TODAY IS…SPICEY FOOD DAY

The spices in the hot foods we eat are oily. And, we all know that oil and water don't mix. So, what can you do to cool down a hot mouth? Try one of these... Eat bread - it will absorb the oily spices. Drink milk - it contains "casein" that binds the spices and carries them away

SPICY CRAB NACHOS

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

2 garlic cloves, pealed and sliced 1/2 small onion, slices

salt and pepper, to taste

1 cup bottled clam juice

1 cup heavy or whipping cream

2 canned chipotle chiles, rinsed

1 cup (4 oz) grated Romano cheese

1 cup (4 oz) grated Monterey Jack cheese

10 oz crab meat

8 oz tortilla chips (3 handfuls)

1/2 bunch cilantro leaves (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2. Melt butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and onions with salt and pepper for about 5 minutes. Pour in the clam juice and boil until the liquid is reduced by half (2-3 minutes).

3. Add the cream and cook over high heat until thick enough to coat a spoon. Stir in the chipotle chilies and remove from heat. Put the mixture into a blender and puree. Return to skillet and stir in 1/2 cup of each kind of cheese.

4. Place the skillet over medium heat and stir in the crabmeat. Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Stir in the tortilla chips.

5. Transfer to a large casserole dish. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Place in oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Garnish with cilantro if desired.

(Chiles are too hot for me, but the rest of the recipe sounds delicious)

TODAY’S TRIVIA

Today is National Aviation Day, always on Orville Wright’s birthday. He was born in Dayton, Ohio, August 19, 1871

Today is Snuffleupagus's birthday. The big hairy thing on Sesame Street. His first name is Aloysius, but most call him Mr. Snuffleupagus. He has a sister named Alice and his grandmother lives in Cincinnati. His friends call him Snuffy. His best friend is Big Bird, but he also has a friend named Rosalyn. Snuffy's favorite foods are cabbage and spaghetti

Today is National Soft Ice Cream Day

Today is Black Cow Day, marking creation of the first "black cow" root beer float on this day in 1893 in Cripple Creek, Colorado. Frank Wisner, owner of Cripple Creek Brewing, was the creator 1856 - Gail Borden of Brooklyn, NY patented his process for condensed milk The familiar flat- topped cans of Borden’s condensed milk are still available, as are Borden’s ice cream, cheese and other products -- all with the seal of approval by Borden’s famous mascot, Elsie, the cow

TODAY’S SMILE

A little Story your may have already heard, but it bears repeating I think…

There was a couple who went to England to shop in a beautiful antique store. This trip was to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary. They both liked antiques and pottery, and especially tea-cups.

Spotting an exceptional cup, they asked "May we see that? We've never seen a cup quite so beautiful. As the lady handed it to them and suddenly the tea-cup spoke, "You don't understand" It said, "I have not always been a tea-cup. There was a time when I was just a lump of red clay.

My master took me and rolled me pounded and patted me over and over and I yelled out, Don't do that. I don't like it! "Let me alone," but he only smiled, nd gently said; "Not yet!!" "Then. WHAM! I was placed on a spinning wheel and suddenly I was spun around and around and around. 'Stop it ! I'm getting so dizzy! I'm going to be sick!', I screamed.

But the master only nodded and said, quietly; 'Not yet. 'He spun me and poked and prodded and bent me out of shape to suit himself and then...... Then he put me in the oven. I never felt such heat. I yelled and knocked and pounded at the door. " Help! Get me out of here!" I could see him through the opening and I could read his lips as he shook his head from side to side, 'Not yet'."

When I thought I couldn't bear it another minute, the door opened. He carefully took me out and put me on the shelf, and I began to cool. Oh, that felt so good! "Ah, this is much better," I thought. But, after I cooled he picked me up and he brushed and painted me allover. The fumes were horrible. I thought I would gag. 'Oh, please; Stop it, Stop it!!' I cried.

He only shook his head and said. 'Not yet!'. Then suddenly he put me back in to the oven. Only it was not like the first one. This was twice as hot and I just knew I would suffocate. I begged. I pleaded. I screamed. I cried. I was convinced I would never make it. I was ready to give up. Just then the door opened and he took me out and again placed me on the shelf, where I cooled and waited------- and waited, wondering "What's he going to do to me next?"

 An hour later he handed me a mirror and said 'Look at yourself.' And I did. I said, "That's not me; that couldn't be me. It's beautiful. I'm beautiful!

"Quietly he spoke: "I want you to remember, then," he said, "I know it hurt to be rolled and pounded and patted, but had I just left you alone, you'd have dried up. I know it made you dizzy to spin around on the wheel, but if I had stopped, you would have crumbled. I know it hurt and it was hot and disagreeable in the oven, but if I hadn't put you there, you would have cracked.

I know the fumes were bad when I brushed and painted you all over, but if I hadn't done that, you never would have hardened. You would not have had any color in your life. If I hadn't put you back in that second oven, you wouldn't have survived for long because the hardness would not have held.

Now you are a finished product. Now you are what I had in mind when I first began with you. "

The moral of this story is this: God knows what He's doing [for each of us ]. He is the potter, and we are His clay. He will mold us and make us, and expose us to just enough pressures of just the right kinds that we may be made into a flawless piece of work to fulfill His good, pleasing and perfect will.

So when life seems hard, and you are being pounded and patted and pushed almost beyond endurance; when your world seems to be spinning out of control; when you feel like you are in a fiery furnace of trials; when life seems to "stink", try this.... Brew a cup of your favorite tea in your prettiest tea cup, sit down and think of this story and then, have a little talk with the Potter.

TODAY’S WORD

knell \NEL\, verb:

1. The stroke of a bell tolled at a funeral or at the death of a person; a death signal; a passing bell; hence, figuratively, a warning of, or a sound indicating, the passing away of anything.

intransitive verb:

1. To sound as a knell; especially, to toll at a death or funeral; hence, to sound as a warning or evil omen

From the Old English cnyll, cnell, the sound of bells

TODAY’S REFLECTION

What about me?

Matthew 19: 23-30

Jesus’ disciples gather around him solemnly, observing intently. Jesus’ compassionate and knowing gaze anchors the rich young man in place, taking in his eagerness and determination. His shoulders slump, the burden of opportunity at least as heavy as his coin-filled purse.

Furtive glances pass between the disciples, mirroring their growing confusion and unease. ‘If it takes more than a camel … what about us?’ The disciples’ wonderfully human and vulnerable fears are soothed by Jesus’ reassurance, reassurance that speaks to us today.

For too long, people believed God’s love was to be earned, attached to laws and external demonstrations as much as others were to their wealth. Jesus reminds us that it is God’s undying unconditional love that draws us to him—and love is what will bring us home

Online Prayer – Reflections on the Daily Gospel

TODAY’S ADVICE FROM THE OLD FARMER’S ALMANAC

August's birthstone is the peridot, sometimes called the evening emerald for its light green color

34 DAYS UNTIL FALL !

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart

Psalm 37:4

May there be a miracle in YOUR life today and may you have the EYES to SEE it!

I Love You All !!!

Be Blessed !!!

MA

MY HOMEPAGE

I believe we should live ‘ON THE BRIGHT SIDE’ www.bigmarainey.com

MY JOURNALS http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

http://onyama.blogspot.com/

To see archived ‘On the Bright Side’ Newsletters click on the link below: http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/ONTHEBRIGHTSIDE/

BRIGHT SIDE LOGO BY SON #6 http://www.littlerainey.com/index.html

 

No comments: